ORAL HEARINGS / EXPERT WITNESS
AQUAFACT carries out a lot of the environmental work that accompanies planning applications. Under Irish planning law, all planning decisions made by planning authorities may be subject to independent review by An Bord Pleanála. The Board has absolute discretion to hold an oral hearing with or without a request from a party and will generally only hold one where this will aid its understanding of a particularly complex case or where it considers that significant national or local issues are involved. The Board may also direct the holding of an oral hearing to determine whether an appeal is made with the sole intention of delaying development or of securing the payment of money, gifts, considerations or other inducement by any person.
AQUAFACT has been involved in a number of Oral Hearings, where an expert witness was needed to clarify any issues raised against a proposed development. Examples of such Oral Hearings are as follows:
- Submission to Oral Hearing on the EIS for the Galway Harbour Expansion Project, 2015
- Submission to Oral Hearing on the EIS for the Oweninny Wind Farm Project, 2014
- Expert Witness for Cromane Seed Mussel Fishery Case, 2013
- Submission to Oral Hearing on an EIS for Ringsend Wastewater Treatment Works Extension, 2012
- Submission to an Oral Hearing for Shannon LNG Terminal on the Shannon Estuary, 2008.
- Submission to an Oral Hearing for Fountain Cross Quarry, 2006.
- Submission to Oral Hearing on an EIS for an air strip at Leachtanaba, Cleggan, Co. Galway. 2000.
- Submission to Oral Hearing for the Long Walk Development, Galway, Co. Galway. 2001.